After a gap year, Pidgin applied for Google Summer of Code. One of accepted proposals is set of improvements for Gadu-Gadu protocol plugin – that’s my task. I will post here some news about progress on that. Also, if there would be anyone interested, I will publish nightly builds for testing purposes.
Most important improvements to do:
- file transfer;
- contact list synchronization – something like xmpp/jabber does;
- Windows SSL support – now, encryption is available just for Linux with GnuTLS;
- code refactoring (it’s unnoticeable for end-user);
- voice chat support – I will try to do this, but I don’t promise anything else.
Less, but still important:
- SOCKS proxy support;
- multiple gadu-gadu servers support – gg servers are sometimes down – there is a possibility to type in certain servers address (to make connection with network without “hub” server available), but it’s not convenient way – it should be automated;
- multi-login support – gg allows to connect from multiple places to one account – there is some unimplemented features, like synchronization of messages with other sessions (when you post message from your machine A, your second machine B will show this as posted) or ability to disconnect other sessions;
- better inline images support – notifications about not delivered images, maybe automatic resize and compression of large images;
- ability to create new gadu-gadu account / remove old one / restore lost password directly from pidgin;
- full avatars support – including ability to set new avatar;
- setting public profile information;
- using public directory nickname for new contact’s alias;
- full text formatting support.
Also, there are some tickets, that need to be fixed. I want to close most of them.